[Postponed TBD] Independence Creek and Diamond Y Bioblitz: 15-18 Sept 2023

[Postponed: this event has been postponed--hopefully we can reschedule]

Two unique West Texas properties, owned by The Nature Conservancy, will be the focus of a fall bioblitz! Both locations feature a spring--that precious source of cool water in the desert (but no aquatic collecting will be allowed). TNC is especially interested in us contributing to knowledge of odonate diversity at Diamond Y.

The plan is for Independence Creek to be our home base, with a day excursion to Diamond Y on Saturday (for those that want to). They're not too far apart (as measured in Texas distance).

We can start arriving Friday and spend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights at IC.

Here's a map showing both locations.

Thanks to @knightericm for making arrangements and TNC staff for welcoming us to these unique properties.

Details regarding facilities at Independence Creek will be posted when available.

Posted on March 15, 2023 12:28 AM by pfau_tarleton pfau_tarleton


This sounds like a great combo-bioblitz! Planning on participating.

Posted by annikaml about 1 year ago

Adding this to my calendar. Thanks for organizing it!

Posted by amzapp about 1 year ago

Definitely interested.

Posted by rymcdaniel about 1 year ago

Wonderful! Sign me up. =)

Posted by k8thegr8 about 1 year ago

I'm in. I was near both locations during my southwest Texas tour last spring but passed through quickly. I made some interesting roadside stops along 190 though. Several were along the San Saba River. Rather limited areas, but full of arthropods at least.

Posted by eaneubauer about 1 year ago

Looking forward to it!

Posted by bosqueaaron about 1 year ago

Provided I have any time off available I am absolutely going to try to make this one.

Posted by brentano about 1 year ago

I'm definitely interested! Will have to see how my time off works out. Pretty sure I'll be moving houses AGAIN in September, so we'll see as it gets closer.

Posted by kimberlietx about 1 year ago

Is there lodging on site or is it tent camping?

Posted by williampaulwhite17 about 1 year ago

@chasingchickens and I are interested!! Adding this to the calendar :)

Posted by wildcarrot about 1 year ago

This is penciled in my calendar!

Posted by lovebirder 12 months ago

On the calendar!

Posted by k8thegr8 12 months ago

Ill be planning on making it to this as well!

Posted by dillon_kyle 11 months ago

While attempting to walk from my parking lot to my office without succumbing to heat stroke, I contemplated our bioblitz scheduled for mid September about a month away. I have a feeling that we will still be experiencing 100+ degrees in mid-September.

Given that this may be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for some of us, what are folk's thoughts on rescheduling it to a month that may be more favorable temperature-wise?

Posted by pfau_tarleton 10 months ago

Coming up pretty quick, isn't it? I could tough it out like I did in Mason County lately, but there was a huge chunk of the day that was useless. Would it be worth postponing it 3 weeks?
Remember the TMN annual meeting is October 12-16. I don't know how many of us would be going, but I'm locked in (paid money, made reservations, doing a presentation).

Posted by eaneubauer 10 months ago

The heat right now is absolutely kicking my butt, and (from what little I've been out doing) animal activity seems pretty low too.

Posted by williampaulwhite17 10 months ago

During mid-October last year Independence Creek had a ton of activity and the weather was beautiful, but it was also wetter in the month or two up to that point than it's looking this year

Posted by mpintar 10 months ago

I'm also locked in to the Master Naturalist Conference, but I agree that looking at other dates might be worthwhile.

Posted by bosqueaaron 10 months ago

Im also in agreement to push it back a bit in hopes of cooler weather but will still plan on going if we keep the date the same.

Posted by dillon_kyle 10 months ago

October would probably be better. The heat is brutal and above 90 degrees is still common in October...

Posted by k8thegr8 10 months ago

I definitely agree pushing it back would be good!

Posted by wildcarrot 10 months ago

I'll support whatever decision you make.

Posted by amzapp 10 months ago

I am still on board for September, especially as some of the species I am most interested in in that area are most likely to be blooming then (if at all since they are annuals). I am not sure if I would be able to make it in October, but would likely still try.

Posted by rymcdaniel 10 months ago

I can make either the original dates or later in October, but I’m locked in to the TMN conference in McAllen, October 11 - 15.

Posted by inhat83 10 months ago

I'm fine with moving it. Nothing planned on my end after October 8th.

Posted by annikaml 10 months ago

I'm canceling the Independence Creek/Diamond Y bioblitz due to heat and drought. The property manager is also no longer working there, and I've not been able to get in touch with the alternate contact. We'll work to reschedule this at some point in the future.

Posted by pfau_tarleton 9 months ago

Ah bummer, is Diamond Y still happening or we rescheduling both?

Posted by knightericm 9 months ago

Rescheduling both. I edited my post to clarify.

Posted by pfau_tarleton 9 months ago

Thanks for clarifying.

Posted by eaneubauer 9 months ago

Thanks for the update.

Posted by rymcdaniel 9 months ago

OK... bummer. Timberlake this fall?

Posted by k8thegr8 9 months ago

Maybe the quarry? If we ever get any rain?

Posted by bosqueaaron 9 months ago

Yes, please!

Posted by k8thegr8 9 months ago

Looks like Independence Creek AND Diamond Y just got some decent rain yesterday, but probably not enough...

Posted by knightericm 9 months ago

They definitely should have received rain last Sunday. I was caught in a downpour on 190, and the storms probably stopped traffic on I-10 west of Ozona.

Posted by kucycads 9 months ago

Hope this puts me in the loop for this one.... Did not realize it was postponed until I decided I needed to find out the particulars for this weekend!

Posted by connlindajo 9 months ago

Sorry Linda Jo...you're in the loop now.

Since the change in management of these properties, I have still yet to receive replies to my emails. Hopefully they'll have a new property manager soon so that we can attempt to reschedule.

Posted by pfau_tarleton 9 months ago

I'm not sure how "soon" the new manager will be there since The Nature Conservancy of Texas just posted an add on Facebook about the position. :-/

Posted by annikaml 9 months ago

We'll aim for spring or next fall

Posted by pfau_tarleton 9 months ago

Add a Comment

Sign In or Sign Up to add comments